Friday, April 23, 2010

The Natural History of Interstate 5

Identifying the true essence of the human spirit has been, for some reason, high priority in my thoughts of late.

I have had a rather busy April, spending 11 full days in the field since April 10th, and awaiting more this weekend. I suppose sleeping outside so much changes you a bit.

I have always noticed this transformation, from the very first expedition kayaking trip I took in Baja to the simple half-day at the local crag. The scope of the effect is, of course, different, but if you look deeply enough, you can recognize the same magnetic force. It pulls you in, makes you feel alive, restructures your priorities, even if just for a split second, and resets your frame of mind. When you return to "life as usual" you feel cleansed, and maybe you don't know why.

I think I came close to understanding while discussing various political, social, and hot-button wilderness topics with some of my favorite Shasta co-guides on my first trip of the season this week. You get away from materialism, consumerism, societal stresses and pressures, thrown into the elements. You realize what matters: food, water, beauty, friends, and the ability to mend your own clothing and equipment. You need nothing new and flashy, just what you have. The duct tape holding your pants together doesn't matter, it is neither fashion sin nor dirtbag status declaration. It just works. Self-sufficiency and ingenuity are mandatory skills. Flimsy green bills can't save you here.

I have been stunned at how fortunate I am to have found a profession that gives me such satisfaction on every level I need: lots of time outside, physical activity, and the opportunity to teach to a willing and able audience of enthusiastic students. My three favorite things wrapped up into one profession.

So amidst this several-week-long work stint, I have come to feel very grounded in the forces of nature, with a heightened sensitivity to the natural beauty surrounding me. And it has affected me in very interesting ways.

I was refilling the propane canister in my boyfriend's camper van at a run-down gas station in Redding when a bird chirped and flew off to another tree in the distance. I heard it loud and clear. I did not hear the road or the freeway, nor the people talking and slamming doors. I heard the wind rustling the leaves on the few trees emerging from the concrete. And the bird again.

I felt exceptionally spacey on the drive to San Francisco, and realized I was seeing the periphery more than the lane in front of me. I was watching the rolling hills, the springtime blooms, the wild clouds revealing high atmospheric winds. I was imagining the forces that could have formed the ripples in the earth before me. I couldn't hear the road noise, my music felt distracting. I turned it off a heard my own breathing.

And then I remembered an interview on NPR with a guy who has researched the effects of noise pollution. He discussed the therapeutic value of natural sounds. People who live in cities have shown to benefit greatly from the presence of natural sounds. In fact, when there are just a few birds chirping above the hum and buzz of the city's traffic (imagine yourself in New York' Central Park), people have reported feeling less stress.

We are genetically programmed to hear these sounds, not the sounds of motors and horns and jackhammers. With the latter, we cope, we do not thrive.

But never before have I been so acutely aware of the sounds I was hearing. And as the daughter of a musician, always sensitive to tone quality and the presence of sound, never before have I been able to tune out the white noise.

This day, it was as if my natural programming had taken over. And it was the most lovely, peaceful drive down I-5 I have ever experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment