Monday, March 29, 2010

Shevanigans and Bootiny

If I were to characterize the past year of my life, I could sum it all up in these two words: Shevanigans and bootiny.

Not to be negative, by any means. But often the greatest obstacles and hassles are the first things to come to mind when remembering all the events of a year gone by. And if anything, it sure makes you appreciate where you've gotten to, everything you have surmounted.

And it definitely can help you appreciate the small things. Like a car that runs, a roof over your head, and boots that fit. So this is my year-in-review:

Shenanigans + van = shevanigans.

Boots + mutiny = bootiny.

For the full story on the van, refer to my blog post: Sprinter Killer from December 2009. The new engine is still having power issues, and even after visiting two different Dodge dealerships, our local mechanic, and talking to the guy who rebuilt the engine, no one can figure it out. I am learning to appreciate my humble 1985 4Runner more and more every day. It's just simple.

And for my bootiny... I think boot drama comes to every climber at some time or another. Sometimes several times. I have always had good luck with boots, but at the end of last Shasta season, my mountaineering boots decided to seize up and shrink. Ouch. I finally got ahold of a pair of La Sportiva's new Batura, and have been blissfully happy in them since. Boots are our direct interface (the days of hob-nailed boots for glaciers and "stocking-feet" on rock are long gone) with the mountain environment, and it really stinks if it's a poor connection.

But as always, life goes on, things get worked out, and all the while you realize you've been having the time of your life -- if you've let yourself appreciate it.

Here are a few photos from Jim Porter, a part-time professional photographer on our last Advanced Mountaineering Course at Matterhorn Peak. He captured some great smiles, on a day that could remind even the greatest of cynics that we live truly blessed lives.

Enjoy.


On the approach to Matterhorn Peak. Photo by Jim Porter.



Starting the climb into the East Couloir, Matterhorn Peak. Photo by Jim Porter.



Topping out on the East Couloir, Matterhorn Peak. I love this shot. It captures the vast-ness of the mountains, and gives a good idea of the steepness of the climb. Great perspective. Photo by Jim Porter.



My rope team at the summit of Matterhorn Peak. Left to right: Me, Greg, Will (peeking over the top), and Caitlin. Photo by Jim Porter.



No comments:

Post a Comment